Monday, January 24, 2011

Interaction vs. Dialogue

In one article Moore makes the distinction between an interaction and dialogue. Although the two terms are used interchangeably Moore said that dialogue will always benefit the student's learning. However, an interaction can be neutral or negative. He didn't really expand on that thought. I don't know if anyone has looked into negative interactions in online learning. Clearly this could include peer-to-peer cyber bullying but a student could also perceive an interaction as negative if the teacher gave feedback that the student felt was too critical. I know that I have had classes in the past where I felt that no interaction with the instructor was the best. In my research I have made the assumption that interactions are beneficial but now I think that not all interactions are good.

I thought that Anderson's additions to Moore's three types of interactions were interesting. I have also read that some see student-interface as an interaction. I would also like to add student-parent interaction to the list. Although, I don't know if it has to be a parent. Maybe it could be an influential other. In my coding of the ohsu data I also saw that some parents talk to other parents. I don't know how important that is but if there is teacher-teacher interaction there could also be parent-parent interaction.

I also liked Anderson's summary of Wilson's three functions of a good educational theory. I will have to read that article along with Whetten's article "What Constitutes a Theoretical Contribution?"

2 comments:

  1. I thought the discussion of what makes a good educational theory was good too. I was a little disappointed that he didn't elaborate more on it.

    There are lots of different kinds of interactions that go on. I think that it is important to think of the parsimony vs completeness issue. I ask myself why some of these other types of interactions have been added to a model and I wonder how much of a contribution they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to look at your blog last night, and now realize that my computer automatically fed in the URL for your January 10th post, making me think you hadn't blogged since then. (I know, I should never have doubted! :)

    Glad we looked a little at the Whetten article in class today.

    ReplyDelete