Sunday, April 3, 2011

Interaction models


I was thinking how I could represent the human interactions by their types and purpose of interactions. The yellow circle represents instructors' interactions, the blue circle represents parents' interactions, the red circle represents students' interactions, and the gray circle in the middle represents interactions focused on content. I identified 13 different combinations.

L-L-S=learner-learner-social
I-I-S=instructor-instructor-social
P-P-S=parent-parent-social

L-I-S=learner-instructor-social
L-P-S=learner-parent-social
P-I-S=parent-instructor-social

L-L-C=learner-learner-content
I-I-C=instructor-instructor-content
P-P-C=parent-parent-content

L-I-C=learner-instructor-content
L-P-C=learner-parent-content
P-I-C=parent-instructor-content

L-P-I=learner-parent-instructor

There are a few things that I don' t like about this representation. First, it is not complete because it only includes social and content interactions and not procedural/administrative. (I could figure out how I could add the third.) Second, the learner-parent-instructor is just in the content circle. Also, this includes interactions that I am not sure would exist and if they did they wouldn't really have a large affect on student learning. For instance parent-parent-content. Would parents get together and talk about content? They would talk about social and procedural.administrative topics in a parent organization but I don't see them talking about the American Revolutionary War.


This is a representation that fits Anderson's (2004) categories of interactions. This reaffirms that he was complete in his identification. However, I am still not sure how important some of them are.

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't completely sure: are you trying to create a model that mirrors Anderson's? What is the relationship between his model, which you posted at the end, and your model, posted at the beginning?

    It's so difficult to be able to create models that are both "parsimonious" and "complete"!! Your model has so many important details, but then the details begin to overwhelm the eye. I will look forward to seeing where you take this and how you strike this balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started making the models to see if I was missing anything. If I was just trying to be complete I would include all of the interactions. I don't think that some of them are relevant but now I know what I am leaving out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. arg! Not a venn diagram!!! The one with four circles would kill you to try to explain all the boundaries and relationships. Think simpler!

    crg

    ReplyDelete